LOVE ME.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

My Grandma's cooking

I once asked myself if it was possible for me to go overseas on a long term basis (studying, or even end up marrying an ANGMO, haha!), what would I truly miss?

Well other than the normal things like my family, friends, my love ones and the environment... that would defnitely be my maternal grandma's cooking.

On times, there would be long gaps of months where I'll not be able to go back on Saturdays to enjoy her cooking and I would TRULY MISS IT. I remember there was once, after months, I finally got to eat her cooking. Surprisingly, tears whelmed up in my eyes. Thats HOW MUCH I ADORE HER COOKING.

You see, I grew up in an environment where Saturdays are specially set aside for family gatherings. Hence going back to my grandma's is a weekly routine. This tradition kind of stop among the more grown up cousins like me,my bro and my cousin. Haha. But generally, we do meet up very frequently. It's the family bonding, and as usual, the highlight is always the FOOD. My grandma and grandpa stays in this old style one floor bungalow(do you call them that? don't care.. haha! pte property!) We have this real large kitchen, big enough for 2 rooms, 2 toilet cubicles(one for bathing and one for toilet). and the main thing, this LONG GREY MARBLE TABLE that sits up to almost 10.

Every weekend, the table will be filled with food, GLORIOUS FOOD. Who eats a 10course dish for lunch?! WE DO. I live for my grandma's cooking, everything is nice. Above all, nyo hiang and cha shao TOPS my list. Nyo hiang is manually wrapped my grandma, on top of all regualr ingredients, there's chunks of water chestnut in it. In chinese, there's a proverb as "Hua4 Long2 Dian3 Jing1". It simply brings out the BEST of this dish. I'm never tired of it!!! Well my other fav is CHAR SHAO, its not handmade by her, but she always buy from this same stall. We have been eating for years, it reminds me of my childhood, this familiar feeling that comes with it. :)))

There are definitely other dishes too, we are proud of our Hainese background. This shows in the food (the curry, pineapple with vegetables and the famous BAI ZHAN JI!!!) Haha.

That big grey marble table,it went through so much occasions,celebrations,tears and generations. We have our afternoon tea, we talk there, discuss issues, play poker during new year, celebrations, dinner. Most importantly, it went through alot of generations. From us when we were really toddlers, to the next generation of cousins.

I know things might change in future, but who cares. I have so much precious memories thats enough to keep me going. Instead of only reminising in future, how great times it was. I need to treasure and cherish these moments now. Creating more wonderful memories to bring with me in future. :)))))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home